Senior Account Manager
Type of Position: Permanent Full-time
Primary Location: Los Angeles
Reports To: Sales Director – Cambrian Solutions, a Maroon Group Company
The Senior Account Manager is responsible building Maroon’s Food presence in the (Chicago / Los Angeles) market. The Senior Account Manager is a highly skilled salesperson with over 15 years’ experience in the Food Ingredient Industry. A natural hunter, the Senior Account Manager has a proven track record of exceeding sales and profit targets as well as growing market presence. This role is responsible for profitable and sustainable growth within the assigned sales territory through new customer acquisition as well as new supplier identification and relationship development.
Major Tasks and Responsibilities
Demonstrates Leadership with the Team
• Develops and implements strategies to grow Maroon Group’s market presence in the US
• Develops plans and strategies in coordination with the Commercial Directors for Food Ingredients, to optimize sales potential and profit for all ingredients and suppliers
• Works with the team to recognize and address product information gaps
• Searches relentlessly for opportunities to partner specialty supplier offerings with customer needs
• Participates in Food Industry associations to develop business relationships and stay on top of industry changes
• Attends (as required) and recommends participation in tradeshows (IFT, other regional and sub-industry focused tradeshows)
• Represents Maroon as a thought-leader at relevant conferences, industry events and through social media platforms
• Attends and participates in twice-monthly sales training sessions
Builds New Sales Territory and Develops New Client Relationships
• Consistently demonstrates ability to grow relationships with customers, while achieving an assigned sales and profit growth goal
• Focuses on discovering customers with high-value strategic growth opportunities
• Identifies emerging markets and market shifts while monitoring new products and competition status
• Identifies potential suppliers to support the Commercial Directors’ growth initiatives
• Incorporates appropriate sales techniques when prospecting new customers, ensuring effective communication of Maroon Group’s brand and market position
• Uses appropriate techniques to develop an in-depth understanding of customers’ businesses, and to identify potential needs
• Secures in-person customer visits with purchasing, R&D, and sales & marketing contacts at potential customers
• Moves prospects through the sales process to secure new business
• Submits pre-call plans to Commercial Directors, Product Managers and Product & Sales Coordinators
• Prepares and delivers sales presentations and product demonstrations, where applicable, either face-to-face or through web platforms
• Addresses customer questions, concerns, and inquiries, with timeliness and accuracy
• Utilizes the 3-wide, 3-deep strategy to ensure deep engagement with customers
• Logs call information in standard format within 48 hours of customer interaction
• Ensures the sales pipeline is up to date with open qualified opportunities using defined sales milestones
• Participates in weekly one-on-one sessions with Sales Director to discuss existing opportunities and to move opportunities forward to closure
• Conducts monthly Dashboard review with Commercial Director(s) and Sales Director
Research and Market Analysis
• Builds on expertise and reputation in Food industry through research and networking
• Provides market feedback to the company leadership regarding competitive offerings, prospect needs and general product development ideas
• Uses acquired industry knowledge to provide innovative solutions to customers’ ingredient and additive needs
• Actively participates in supplier training during office visits or via video-conferencing platforms
Other Duties and Responsibilities
Internal Relationship Management
• Spends 4 hours/week either in-person or via videoconferencing with the office, to discuss priorities and action plans with the Commercial Directors and to increase leadership visibility
• Engages in ongoing communication with Commercial Directors and Sales & Product Coordinators to ensure customer requirements are met
• Participates in dashboard meetings to discuss key accounts and prioritize activities to maximize territory growth
• Makes travel arrangements, while working within policy guidelines
• Completes monthly expense reports as directed by Accounting Department
• Updates CRM with pertinent information based upon corporate guidelines
• Sends out credit applications to all new customers
• Sends out quotes to new/existing customers and requests samples, as required
Education, Experience, Required Knowledge and Skills
• University or College degree, preferably in Food Science, or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Minimum 15 years Food industry sales experience, with proven ability to expand profitability of a sales territory and exceed targets
• Established supplier relationships would be considered an asset
• Extensive market and technical product knowledge
• Growth focused – competitive and entrepreneurial
• A desire to be the face of Cambrian in a new market and to possess strong networking skills
• Strong organization, interpersonal and presentation skills
• Effective written and verbal communication skills, and ability to adapt communication style to the audience
• Exhibit good judgment and professionalism when dealing with both customers and internal team members
• Self-motivation, high energy, an engaging level of enthusiasm and a positive outlook
• Ability to negotiate win-win situations
• Software knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
• Familiarity with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software
• Exemplify a collaborative working relationship with all company functions.
• Visible and active communication to work synergistically within the organization.
• Leader in company functions, customer visits and technical programs.
• Positively impact the culture of Maroon Group.
• Ability to develop and execute plans to ensure the business meets the financial and productivity goals of the company.
• The incumbent must provide an example of acting legally and ethically in adherence with the company policies, culture and values.
• Exhibit a priority for safety and regulatory leadership through compliance to policies, reinforcement of exemplary employee behaviors and proactive training.
• Valid Driver’s License and evidence of Insurability
• Fluent in English, a second language would be considered an asset
Work Environment and Conditions
• Home office, head office, customer locations, vehicle
• Business travel as required within USA (and to Canada)
About Maroon Group
Maroon Group is a vibrant sales and marketing company that sources raw materials from around the world and distributes to North American manufacturers. Maroon Group proudly services the following industries: Food, Naturals & Organics, CASE, Personal Care, Specialty Intermediates, Household, Industrial & Institutional, Health Ingredients, Paper, Petroleum and Animal Nutrition. We are a people-driven company and value the relationships we build. We work hard to ensure our customers can create the best possible products using the ingredients we source from our global supply partners. We know it takes a team to be successful and value each members’ contribution.
Maroon Group offers a competitive salary in addition to a positive and collaborative work culture. We believe in developing people as well as growing our business and we make this philosophy a priority. Our head office is located in Avon, Ohio.
Contact Jackie Sparling, Human Resources Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
Maroon Group, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.